Thursday, March 16, 2017

The market after dark

This is the public square in front of the Covent Garden Market. I wouldn't be stretching things by saying this is a jewel in our city's crown, a public space so well thought-out and managed that it's become something of a model for similar projects elsewhere.

But that wasn't on my mind on this warm, damp night as I walked through the square on my way home from a photo exhibit where our daughter's work was on display. The light spilling out caught my attention, and I was once again reminded of architecture's ability to make us feel.

I need to spend more time here, partly to take better photos of a special place, but more specifically to just take it in. Sometimes, just hanging out in the right location is enough to recharge the soul.

Your turn: Do you have a place that makes you feel better?

2 comments:

Vid Digger said...

Congrats to your daughter!

Now that's a shot worthy of my vintage camera. The reflection of the market.

My special place is home. Fixing things here and there while I wait for our garden to spring back to life.

Snaggle Tooth said...

My spot is always at the beach. Haven't been there enough lately. Atmosphere can be everything sometimes. I like big spaces- cabin fever sets in this time of year! Pretty shot