Monday, May 30, 2016

On that thing that Captain Sully said

"Everyone's reputation is made on a daily basis. There are little incremental things - worthwhile efforts, moments you were helpful to others - and after a lifetime, then can add up to something. You can feel as if you lived and it mattered."
Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger
He may be known as the guy who safely ditched an Airbus A-320 in the Hudson River, but beyond the Miracle on the Hudson that turned him into a  global celebrity, Captain Sully Sullenberger is a pretty inspirational guy in his own right.

And these particular words inspired me today. I hope they inspire you, too, to start focusing on those little incremental things that may not get the big headlines, but still matter in their own crucial way.

Your turn: What little, incremental thing will you do next? How will it matter?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

This is so true and an interview that Charlie Rose had with the journalist David Brooks on PBS last April also seemed to support this philosophy

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I have always believed that you treat others the way you want to be treated... Today, I was the eyes for a new neighbor.. I kept her abreast of the home she recently purchased... she was grateful for info I passed on... I've done little things like that for others.. have I been on the receiving end? not as much as the times I've extended myself.. I don't keep score, its the feeling u get when you know u've helped out that counts.