Thursday, July 03, 2014

Say hello to my little bee friend

Please don't sting me
Toronto, ON
June 2014
For more Thematic critters, please click here
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It allows me to ask my past-tense self what the hell I was thinking when I decided to flip the camera into macro mode and shoot this hideously ginormous bee from, oh, about 4 cm away.

I'm not even sure I was thinking much beyond the fact that I was pretty confident I could outrun the bee if he (she?) came after me. In retrospect, I might have been overconfident, as bees are rather accomplished insect-aviators, and I'm decidedly not.

In the end, I luckily avoided being stung. The silly bee didn't even budge from this spot at the edge of the BBQ. Maybe he (she? Bueller?) was looking for one last morsel before heading off to the flower bed. Maybe the little critter was hoping for a headshot for its new Instagram account.

Whatever the case, this ranks as one of the dumb-and-dumber moves I've pulled with a camera in a while. Yet if the same scenario presented itself tomorrow, I'd probably do exactly the same thing. My photographic stupidity seems to know no bounds.

Your turn: Ever do something dumb to get the shot? Do tell.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Bees are usually only aggressive near their nests. Unless you are swinging you arms about. I frequently pick my lavender which is FULL of Bumble bees and they just move out of the way. I am slow and calm in doing it. Bees really do not want to sting you. Wasps on the other hand!

21 Wits said...

Of course you would! How could you ever pass up a shot like that! Incredible (caught off his guard) capture!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

A nice fuzzy bumble bee.

Tabor is right, they are very peaceful. You have to go way out of your way to provoke a bumble bee (or carpenter bee) into stinging you.
~