Saturday, July 12, 2014

Rainy beach day

No swimming today
Grand Bend, ON
July 2014
Our kids inherited the beach gene from us, so as soon as the weather allows it, we pick whatever Great Lake tickles our fancy on that day and point the car toward it. Living smack in between two of them - Erie and Huron - has its advantages, and this is definitely one of them.

Last week, we chose Thursday as our beach day. I shifted some deliverables and deadlines around - one of the advantages of being out on my own - and we set off mid-morning. There was a chance of showers in the forecast, but we figured it was slight, and if anything it would keep the seething masses away. I'm not a crowd person, so the risk seemed worth it.

As you can see from the hastily composed windshield shot above, things didn't work out as planned. It was simply grey when we pulled up to the nearly empty parking lot and slid into a primo spot. But thanks to a driving wind, not even sweatshirts could keep the cold at bay.

Little man braved the elements and swam in the rough surf for a bit, under the careful eye of his hoodie-clad sister. I captured as much as I could with my camera before the occasional spritzes of rain became a driving storm. It didn't take long for us to call it: we were done for the day.

We wrung ourselves out in the car and headed for plan B - lunch at a decidedly warm and dry burger joint. Not the day we planned, but one we're glad we had all the same.

Your turn: A day that didn't go as planned, but still turned out memorable. Please discuss...

1 comment:

21 Wits said...

Just being together for you all, was a win-win, chicken (or rather burger) dinner! My not as planned day- was my wedding day! On the morning of my dear bridesmaid helped me with all the (too many to mention) oops that happen, but the biggest oops, was our brand new Lincoln Town Car blew up (only 500 miles on it) some engine glitch during our cake pick-up, but to safe the day, a nearby (we were way up in northern Minnesota) was a local auto-dealership to the rescue and he gave me a Ford Tempo as a quick loaner! More our style anyway!