Monday, March 10, 2014

Is it curtains for Wind Mobile?

I'm usually a pretty optimistic person. I tend to be the last person to throw in the towel whenever a particular company is hitting the skids. I guess part of me always hopes the underdog prevails. I guess I never want to admit there isn't even a slim chance for recovery.

But today's article is a little different. I was writing about Wind Mobile's prospects in Canada's wireless market. They're currently the fourth largest carrier in the country, with well over 650,000 subscribers barely five years after entering the market and a reputation for being much more customer-friendly than the established Big 3. You'd think that would be enough to justify a victory toast or three. You'd think wrong.

I simply couldn't find a bright spot. From its parent company refusing to finance any bids during the latest spectrum auction to its latest decision to completely write down its investments in Canada (hey there, Wind Mobile. Guess what? You're worthless. Love, Mom and Dad) I just couldn't shake the feeling that this is a Dead Company Walking, and it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens.

The article is now live on Yahoo! Canada Finance: The end draws near for Wind Mobile

Here's hoping my next set of writing has a happier tone. Any suggestions?

No comments: