Thursday, November 07, 2013

The power of water to heal

Sinuous
London, ON
July 2013
Thematic. Power. Here.
The scene: the banks of the river that flows through our burg. I had come here on this muggy, cloudy, July night because I had some time to kill (I know, happens so often, but I digress) and wandering around a giant park with my camera in hand seemed like the most inspirational way to spend it.

I didn't have high hopes for the Thames River riverbank. Okay, truth, any hopes. The optical pickings seemed mighty thin, with deep evening shade and fast-moving water conspiring against my wish to get anything sharp.

So I went the other way, spun my camera's dials toward super-slow and got into that loose-bodied, Zen-like state that lets you shoot long exposures with no tripod.

I can't tell you what the river looked like because this shot looks nothing like it. Long, blurry exposures will do that, I guess, by making the real look somewhat unreal. But every time I look at it, I feel like I'm looking into a dream, and I'm being reminded yet again that wandering around and looking for inspiration through a lens is spectacularly good for the soul.

Note to self: Do this more often.

No comments: