Monday, April 08, 2013

Choosing to look the other way

Look in the trunk
Delray Beach, FL
December 2008
Note: We're winding down our sunrise. sunset week - though I do reserve the right to toss in an additional pic or two over the next few days, just because. If you'd like to get in some additional submissions of your own, please click here. New theme, leaves, launches tonight, at 7 p.m. Eastern.
Sometimes when I'm shooting a sunrise or a sunset, I'll turn around and look behind me. It occurs to me that the story isn't always the sun itself, but the stuff that it ends up painting with light along the way.

And as the sun slowly settled into the horizon on this late December night in South Florida, I was struck by the way it softly painted the trunks of these lovely palm trees. So instead of capturing the sky, I chose to look the other way and bring home the shot most folks wouldn't expect.

Your turn: Do you ever turn around and look the other way? What kinds of things do you see?

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

If I turn away its usually because the situation is upsetting... sometimes I will speak up but most times what upsets me, I know my 2 cents won't matter since most do what they want anyway or what I have to say will be forgotten... I've learned to pick my battles...

Tabor said...

I always turn away, because I want to be sure I see the whole story.