Thursday, February 07, 2013

Windows on the world

Who's behind the glass
Shanghai, China
May 2012
Click here for more straight-lined Thematic
Every window tells a story. It can be a lens into someone's life, offering up just enough of a peek for the casual observer to make any number of assumptions about what's going on on the other side of the glass.

It's easier to play this game at night, but it's no less of a draw during the day, either. I've been playing this game for pretty much my entire life because it isn't simply about understanding the lives of others. In many respects, it helps us position our own lives, as well.

Ooh, sounds metaphysical. Maybe I shouldn't be writing this early in the morning. Or maybe I should just get a bit more sleep. Either way, this smoky example on a grey Shanghai morning lingered with me long after I returned home. Because it offered up nothing about whoever lived and worked behind its greyish facade. It made me feel small just to see it from the sidewalk. I wonder if the folks on the other side felt the same way.

Your turn: Who's inside this building? Have fun with it...

No comments: