Thursday, November 15, 2012

Someone never read the help desk rules

A while back, I wrote an entry called Help Desk Rules largely out of frustration with folks who have nothing to do with me their entire lives, but then make a beeline for me to help them when they've got a technology problem or question. I thought it was a pretty funny piece of writing, and it's become something of a fan favorite around here. I'm guessing the person who sent me the following message never read it. Here's what he wrote, in its entirety:
for a friend w bberry. how to find a french character set to type messages with
No please, no thank you, not even an attempt to use the shift key. It came from someone who's more acquaintance than friend, so we can't even use the excuse that a good friend was using some kind of I-know-you-really-well shorthand. It's really someone who seems to have forgotten the basic rules of Kindergarten.

I didn't answer this, and have no intention of doing so. I'm well aware of the fact that it would have taken me fewer keypresses to actually answer the question than to write this blog entry. But that wouldn't have been as much fun. Sometimes, you just have to raise your voice a little in the hope that someone out there is listening.

I'm on the fence re. whether or not I send the link to this entry back to the person who sent it. What do you think?


4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Ah, as tempting as it is, Carmi, I think it's not worth it.

Next thing you know, he/she/it/monster will be boiling your pet bunny rabbit.
~

lissa said...

I'm well aware of the fact that it would have taken me fewer keypresses to actually answer the question than to write this blog entry.

A blog entry on principle AND for entertainment - THAT'S the way to start a weekend!

(I get the temptation to send the link...but it would go over said requester's head and not be as much fun)

;-)

MB said...

I would just send them a link to the Help Desk Rules and let them figure it out for themselves...

JMC said...

Such a common issue. I empathize with the desire to send the comment back to them, but people who think you only exist to solve their issues don't react well to reality checks.