Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Too much radio?

Some days, I look back before tuck-in and realize I spent a heck of a lot of minutes talking into telephones and microphones. Here's a rundown of what I've been up to today in radioland in between, you know, writing for a living:

6:23 a.m. - Ted Woloshyn of Toronto's NewsTalk 1010 re. the IOC's draconian-seeming social media policy
10:30 a.m. - Jeff Macarthur of London's AM980 re. the IOC thing
12:30 p.m. - Tom Olsen of QR77 Calgary re. the CRTC's scrapping of the LPIF
4:15 p.m. - Mike Stubbs of London's 1290 CJBK for our weekly tech roundup (this was in-studio)
6:10 p.m. - Aaron Rand of Montreal's CJAD 800 re. the IOC thing. Podcast here.
9:45 p.m. - Ryan Doyle of NewsTalk 1010's Friendly Fire re. Apple's earnings

(That's six hits, half of them with various properties in the Astral Media chain.)

This is on top of yesterday's tally that had me speaking with CBC Ontario Morning's Mike Ewing on water safety (podcast here) and 570 News Kitchener's Gary Doyle on taking technology for granted. Tomorrow is already shaping up as a busy one, too, with a couple of chats with CTV in the morning and again in the afternoon. I don't say any of this because I'm impressed or looking for a pat on the back or a congratulatory cookie. The numbers simply blow me away sometimes when I stop and review them a little more closely.

As I continue to grow the media component of my career, I often find myself having difficulty convincing the powers-that-be that there's value to this work, that listeners, viewers and readers dig it, that at some point they might want to consider bringing me in and making it official. I'd like to think that my rather oddball view of the tech world has struck a nerve and might help some newsrooms out there in ways they can only begin to imagine. I'd like to think there's one decision maker in media out there who I've yet to meet, who gets it, who's willing to roll the dice. Just one is all I need.

Days like these convince me that I'm on the right path, that the only real response to the silence on the other end of the email or phone trail is to just keep answering the phone, picking up the mic, heading into the studio, talking into the camera, pushing my story forward. Because there's no sense giving up now, is there?

Onward...

1 comment:

carmilevy said...

Thanks so much for this. Needed to hear that.