Sunday, December 11, 2011

On loss, time and perspective

"When you are sorrowful
look into your heart
and you shall see that
you are weeping
for that which has been
your delight."
Khalil Gibran
You can't feel loss unless you had something to lose in the first place. And as I've so often written in this space, I'd rather have it to lose and lose it than not have it at all.

Life isn't permanent, but it's the best gift we'll ever have. Seize every day with those who matter most, and never fear losing whatever it is we treasure above all. Because to never lose is to never truly live.

Your turn: How do you make your memories happy ones?

One more thing: Please accept my apologies for the slightly dim tone of this entry. It's been a melancholy day. More here.

6 comments:

Janice said...

Carmi...I think you captured it perfectly. Seize the moment with your loved ones and make the most of the time you have with them. If you enjoy the smallest moments with someone you love, you will not have anything to regret after they are gone.

Cloudia said...

A true gem of a post, dear Carmi



to speak of these ultimate things.



Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

lepifera said...

During a conversation with a friend the other day, I said "I feel the most free when I have got nothing to loose". Though we were talking about how some folks are so caught up with wanting the next promotion and the favor of a boss, that one forgets the choice to follow one's heart.

The moments one treasures and the loss of which one weeps for cannot be possessed, yet are free gifts given at only a moment's notice by the greater power.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

That quote, I definitely understand.. As far as finding the happy- somehow, the kids and I can always remember their Dad's quirks!. LOL... The words: 'dry sense of humor'- automatic pic is my husband/their Dad. I find there is humor, no matter how slight in everything...

CorvusCorax12 said...

i can understand the dim mood, been in one myself and i love this poem

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful quote, and so very true!