Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reflective sky


The remains of the day
Laval, QC, August 2010
[Click photo to embiggen]


I've decided to share this picture now because it's been an insanely busy day, with my mind being pulled in countless different directions. I wish I had the time to pen something deep and thoughtful to accompany this resonant, makes-you-feel-small-in-a-good-way image. But I don't. Some days, you just have enough mental energy to make it back to bed in one piece at the end of the day.

So today's one of those days. The kind of day when you hope the seeds you've planted somehow take root, when you know you've done everything you can to ensure a successful outcome, but you know you must now sit and wait.

Sorry for being cryptic. I'm having one of those inflection point kind of moments. Forgive me.

Whatever the case, there's always enough time to stop in your tracks and catch your breath at a sight like this. Because we all need inspiration. And moments like this are so rare, so fleeting, that we cheat ourselves if we elect to miss them. Which is why I dropped everything that night to head out on the balcony with my camera. Because there are only so many sunsets, and only so much time to share them with the folks who matter most.

Your turn: What inspires you?

One more thing: This photo rounds out our Thematic Photographic look at the "reflective" theme* (head here if you want in on the fun.) New theme hits the site tomorrow (Thursday) at 7:00 p.m. ET. If you've got any suggestions, I'm all ears.

--
* How is this reflective? Sunlight reflecting off of clouds...yes, I know I'm stretching it.

21 comments:

Kelly Collins said...

That is one awesome sunset! It inspires me, flowers too, I love flowers.

Pearl said...

yep, some days are like that.

even 3 minutes idling, breathing can help.

theme ideas? pirates? for talk like a pirate day? something quirky or comic?

kim said...

What inspires me? Usually when an underdog succeeds - oh, and you know what else? Traveling - getting out of my normal zone as well as exploring new things - it always gets my wheels spinning (I guess literally and figuratively!).

Love the sunset - and fingers crossed on the seeds planted.

Anonymous said...

Pushing my limits inspires me. On a cellular level. Somehow, it cracks open the corners of my mind's envelope and redefines everything.

Beautiful, haunting sunset you've shared here...

Keep breathing. It's your only obligation! :)

brooklynlive said...

my inspiration comes from people that i meet along my journeys. whether it is at work, at a club, at a park, etc. sometimes, i am inspired to create a new piece of art through a conversation with a friend or inspired to write a book after experiencing a situation. Inspiration is a reflection of the openness of a person. Most things or people can inspire you - most is the key word. You have to filter out some things!

JJ said...

I originally came from New Hampshire and I miss those Quebec sunsets we often traveled north to view. Awsome!

Unknown said...

Amazing how no matter what the day throws at you, a sunrise or sunset can make you step back and just breathe.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You don't have to pen something deep and thoughtful, this picture already is! I thought my sunsets were really good, but this is the best I've seen! What inspires me? The simple joy that small children find in ordinary things... many blogs, including yours.

Scarlet said...

What an amazing shot Carmi!!
Your picutres inspire me to pay more attention to the beauty in the smaller things in life...

mike fox said...

cool blog, i saw it because it's a "blog of note." cool.

Stacy said...

What inspires me? Small things, often, but almost always something outdoors—the veining in a petal; the musty "bloom" on a vine-ripened grape; honey-bee wings. Patterns. But large things like sunsets, too—reminders that the world goes on without (or despite) us. For some paradoxical reason being reminded how irrelevant I am on a geologic scale always frees me to take meaningful action.

Found your blog via Blogs of Note and really enjoy its warmth. Thank you.

Kay said...

it's always more aww-inspiring when one actually stops and looks up and

feels

yip. the waiting game much less eager in those times.

stunning shot!

Shirley said...

Beautiful sunset! It seems to have no beginning and no end. Just lovely.

Martin Karl said...

Stellar photo! Sunsets are one of the most inspiring things for me, as are thunderstorms and clear nights with a bright moon. Nature knows how to do it.

TechnologyMonitor said...

great blog

Al-3arabe said...

Nice post

ladyapplevangreen said...

what inspires me can be almost everything. sometimes I get up early to catch a beautiful sunrise with a bit of luck, maybe it's a song I hear on the radio or it's just one single word in a conversation that opens a whole new world in my mind.

Somewhere round about said...

what inspires me? roses falling over a garden fence as I'm hurrying along our pavements
i always stop and smell them

SY said...

Sunsets remind you that the seeds you've planted will harvest in due time but you have to keep you side of the deal..

Tayloreece said...

I LOVE YOUR WORK! It's so inspiring. :D

MorahMommy said...

Gorgeous!You inspire me. I love how you look at things. There's wonder in big and little things like sunsets and lemon meringue pies!! :op

xoxo