Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thematic Photographic 103 - Signs of the times


The President will see you now
London, ON, March 2010


We're surrounded by signs that govern virtually every moment of our waking day. Some might say we're over-signed, that we're governed by a nanny-state mentality that doesn't give us credit for thinking our way down the grocery aisle or around the street corner.

We'll leave those arguments for another day, because it's not like debating the prevalence of signs will ever actually reduce their numbers. Like dandelions, they're with us for the long haul. That doesn't mean we can't have some fun with them, though. So I've chosen "Signs of the times" as our Thematic Photographic theme for the next week because I wanted everyone to have plenty of opportunity to participate and plenty of opportunity to isolate this rather visible slice of the urban landscape.

In my own case, I hung around the hotel lobby for a while before I realized the President of the Entire Free World wasn't going to show up anytime soon. My mistake.

Your turn: Pick a sign, any sign. Take a picture of it. Post it to your blog. Paste a link to it in a comment here. Repeat as often as your poor camera will tolerate. Click here for more background on how Thematic Photographic works.

13 comments:

Glennis said...

This is a good theme - I have lots of sign photos!! I've got one up now, at www.doves2day.blogspot.com

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Heres mine for the theme.


no bathing

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Ha! I know which one's going in here...it's this one.

Some people may have seen it before, for which I do not apologise at all ;)

Please note the date...this was May 2009 ....in the UK

srp said...

My sign is on an old smokehouse, long unused... and why it was needed to begin with, I don't know. It might insult Frasier.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

This is from the archives (June 2008), but it's pretty fitting. I often find signs quite hilarious.

Who Comes Up With These?

fredamans said...

Here is my sign; http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-way-no-59.html

In other repose, I also felt the quake here in Hamilton. I remember the one we had in 1999 or 200 as well. This one was much more prominent. I had photos fall off the wall, no big deal. Imagine the day we get severe quakes... which will happen someday... no one here in Canada is properly prepared.

I also wish you the best health. I hope you feel better very soon!

Melanie said...

Well, you said, "Any Sign", so here's mine!

Glennis said...

I've got another sign up - its a sign of another time.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

hapzydeco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hapzydeco said...

Last evening (6/25/10) at the Syracuse Jazz Fest 2010 photographed this sign. Good to see jazz will continue in the hearts of young women and men.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Here's mine - Uh... Which way?!

:)

Glennis said...

I've got another sign up - one of my very favorites!!

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

Tony Gasbarro said...

My contribution is probably a weak example, as the sign is immediately correctable, but it still made me laugh snortily.