Friday, June 18, 2010

Mosaic shapes

Tectonic plates
Komoka, ON
August 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic's latest theme is "Geometric", and it doesn't get more geometric than this. Whatever shape(s) you've got floating around your photo archives - or if you're looking for an excuse to get out and shoot some new ones - we hope you'll share 'em here.
We were at our friends' house for dinner, and the evening sun was washing the patio with soft, golden light. Sitting around as the last of the chicken made its way off the BBQ, I found myself entranced by this bowl. The contradicting shapes - angular glass embedded in rounded mortar - were too neat to pass up.

So I didn't. Which meant my wife got to deliver her time-honored speech about why her somewhat obsessive husband insists on cracking out the SLR at the dinner table.

Good thing she likes me.

Your turn: What's the most inappropriate time you've ever taken a picture? Or witnessed someone take a picture?

6 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Such an interesting shot, Carmi. Very nice composition. I couldn't tell if it was convex or concave at first - until I read your post.

I'm not sure of the most inappropriate place. Shooting spam packets at the grocery store looked a little odd to some passersby. I recall sneaking some shots someplace, but the location escapes me at the moment.

I always figure if someone says anything, I'll tell them it's an assignment. They're free to decide what that means. LOL!!!

craziequeen said...

*Is* there such a thing as an 'inappropriate' time to take a photo?

I surely don't believe that, Carmi ;-)

sister AE said...

I was wondering which shapes would catch my eye, then this mason working on our roof this morning settled me on rectangles. I had fun with this.

http://havingwrit.blogspot.com/2010/06/study-in-rectangles.html

Pearl said...

huh, synchronicity. I posted a picture of the same type of candle-holder this week too.

Chelle said...

Several years ago I took my camera with me to the college pool I swim in to take pictures of the lane markers. You can see the result <a href="http://snowshoediaries.blogspot.com/2008/08/macroday-wet.html>here</a>. I still had the camera with me when I went in to shower and fascinated by the water coming out of the shower head decided to take some shots of it. That is until I realized that that might be taken the wrong way.

MB said...

Great shot. The most inappropriate time I've ever taken a picture was at my Grandma's funeral. I don't think she would be too upset about it though. The flowers were beautiful.