Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.


Steeping
London, ON, September 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic has been in the clouds all week long. Let's stretch our imaginations for a moment as we contemplate the cloudiness of tea as it begins to steep. I know I'm pushing the definition a bit, but I've never been all that conventional, anyway. If you're into the cloudy thing, too, click here.
I've got a thing for the rituals of tea. Let's set aside the act of drinking it, if only for a moment, and instead focus on how it is prepared. Unlike most things we drink, tea kind of forces you to take a bit of a time out. The world can wait while you let the bag steep, then hold the mug gently in your hand as you allow the warmth to spread through your fingers. Even if you never drink the result, you've already managed to squeeze some quiet joy from the moment.

I guess I'm destined for perpetual life in the slow lane as I watch my tea slowly convect itself. So be it.

Your turn: Tea or coffee or other? Why?

10 comments:

Mark said...

Looks delicious, Jean Luc. ;)

Since you asked... one big cup of strong coffee in the morning, all doctored up the way I like it. In the afternoon, decaf Earl Grey. It's so hot here in Texas, however, that I often ice it. It's very good that way.

Jennifer said...

I have a cup of coffee in the mornings to get my brain moving. At night, more often than not, instead of a second cup of coffee, I'll have a cup of Vanilla Chai tea, no sugar, or I'll have a chai green tea latte. Yum!

Tabor said...

I never thought about it, but tea is slow food. (I just love Jean Luc, but what woman doesn't? ;-))

Anne said...

I'm a tea drinker, love earl grey. I've moved from bags to loose, though, I think the flavor is better. The tea is chopped too finely in the bags and it gets too bitter too quickly.

MorahMommy said...

As you know my sweet it is coffee for me. You often know that I am not feeling well because that's when I ask for tea.

I love to drink my coffee on the weekends, when I can sip and savour during the week it's rushy-rushy!

xoxo

~j said...

coffee in the morning but tea in the evening after dinner. it was always our after dinner drink as we sat around the table visiting. tea sets a "no place to rush off to" mood.

Unknown said...

Growing up in Canada, (especially with Brits across the street)I grew up on tea. Loved it!
I'm not sure that it is a stretch, but when I came to the USA 27 years ago...I haven't had a cup since. I actually have never seen an American drink a cup either.
I think that you have to have the Queen on your money to drink tea!

srp said...

Creme brulee coffee with cream.
Hot tea with mint or lemon or iced tea the same.
I have been enjoying iced tea with peaches or raspberries or mango sometimes. I also love tea with a bit of freshly squeezed lime or orange juice.
The BEST tea in the world? The house tea mixed together at the Russian Tea Cafe in Chicago. They sell the loose tea and it is simply wonderful.

Man Named Kim said...

Coffee daily - to start the day. Tea - for afternoon and evening conversations. Nothing bonds like sharing a warm cup of tea.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Right now drinking green. Mornings red n black, bedtime chamomile.
I'm so spoiled!