Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Clouds at sunset


Textured sky
Delray Beach, December 2009
Please note: This photo completes our "Into the Clouds" theme (head here for more.) Thematic Photographic kicks off a new theme tomorrow (Thursday) - so feel free to come back after 7:00 p.m. (Eastern) to see what it is. Eventually, I suspect I'll get the launch date back to Wednesday. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.
There's a certain sense of peace associated with the precious few moments when the sun slips below the horizon and settles in for the night. There's often a softness to the light, a feeling of resonant quiet associated with simply standing there and watching it happen. It never ceases to make me feel small, to make me toss out all the nagging idiocies that bug me during the day and replace them all with something decidedly simpler.

Every time I find myself immersed in moments like this, I silently remind myself that I don't need to wait for a perfect sunset to feel this way. Come to think of it, neither does any of us.

Your turn: Now that we've been sticking our heads into the clouds for the better part of the past week, I'd like to ask you why clouds seem to attract our attention as much as they do.

2 comments:

Snaggle Tooth said...

When the clouds are lit with the sun slipped below the horizon is what I call witnessing the Silver Lining- One of my fave things also.

Away from the big cities at least- The sky is the biggest space around, so always draws my vision, as I'm a bit claustrophobic...
I posted a few more cloud scenes from yesterday for ya.

Thanks for the great cloud pics! 9I want your cam close-ups!)

Unknown said...

An incredible observation about the beauty of nature Carmi! I have a series going on too at my place. What a coincidence!! ;D