Thursday, January 07, 2010

Fiery re-entry


Trails in the sky
Delray Beach, FL, December 2009

About this photo: We're sharing photos from vacations - recent, childhood, far away and close to home, whatever - all week long. To jump into the latest Thematic Photographic, just click here.
I've often written about my habit of staring at the sky (see here, here and here for earlier examples.) I come by it honestly thanks to a childhood spent largely lying face-up on my front or back lawn, peering endlessly into the ever changing sky. Adulthood hasn't cured me.

Being a kid in the era of film, however, my parents understandably weren't about to entrust me with their camera. So these hours went largely unrecorded, existing only as dusty memories from way back.

Thankfully adulthood has given me more options to remember. On this late afternoon in Florida (please see here to share your own vacation-time vision), the kids had just finished up another arduous day of swimming in the pool. As they wrapped themselves in their cushy towels and tried to stay out of the ever-lengthening shadows, I noticed these streaky clouds overhead. I immediately thought of meteor showers, Hollywood-esque comet trails and, sadly, STS-107, and thought this was a moment I wasn't willing to remember strictly in my head.

Your turn: What does this remind you of?

8 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

To me it looks like the fiery finger of the great god Thor!! I hope it didn't zap you!

Mojo said...

I was thinking it looked like something out of one of those apocalyptic thrillers where the world's gonna end unless the hero... does some of that hero stuff.

You sure do have exciting vacations! Mine was downright sedate by comparison.
Thematic Photographic 83: "What I Did On My Vacation" v.1.0 - Surf City New Year's Eve

fredamans said...

It looks like the clouds are fireballs!

Awesome!!

Cloudia said...

Power coming down!



Aloha, Carmi



Comfort Spiral

Carli said...

I had the same dark thought as you when I looked at that photo--the space shuttle. Thankfully, this is better.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

....a petri dish?

The Writer said...

Carmi,
It looks phoenix like to me. I relate to the lawn laying story and I love the way the sun changes the colors of things in the evening. Do you, by any chance, have any photos of evening sunlight on tree tops? Those are my favorite.

Tracie Nall said...

It definitely conjures up visions of meteor showers. Great photo!