Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Critics take different forms

My mom called today to tell me she had seen me on television in Montreal (don't have the link yet. Will add it once I find it.) She enjoyed watching me, and spoke endlessly about how in control I seemed. I guess I hide it well.

While she loved what I had to say about Nortel and all the related fun geek stuff, she focused her feedback on one thing: She said I had circles under my eyes, and I looked tired.

I had to laugh. It was comforting to hear a small smile in her voice, even if it was only for a small sliver of time. I guess I'll just have to keep making excuses for her to tune in or otherwise be proud of everything we're up to. I know she is, and that's yet another small thing to hold on to as we try to figure out how we go on from here.

One more thing: Canwest filed for bankruptcy protection and Bell and Telus both announced they'll start selling the iPhone in Canada next month. So my phone was busy, and I did a ton of media, including:
  • A bunch of CBC Radio, including Home Run with Meegan Read, Radio Winnipeg, Radio Regina and Radio Montreal, the last of which I did live and in French (stop laughing.)
  • CTV News Channel with Sandie Rinaldo (first time I've been interviewed by her...she's a legend around these parts.)
  • Business News Network with Michael Hainsworth (no one does tech-business interviews as precisely.)
  • CBC Business News with Fred Langan (which because they couldn't confirm a studio, I did via Skype from home.)
  • CJAD News in Montreal (my hometown's main newstalk radio station...)
  • Reuters, Canadian Press and the Globe & Mail
I didn't have a whole lot of time to dwell, which in retrospect was a good thing. As I got into the car following my last interview, a bee flew in the open sunroof and refused to leave. I opened every window and door and tried to shoo him (her?) away, but the more I shooed, the more stubborn he/she became.

Eventually, the interloper got tired of my antics and flew into the nearby bushes. As I drove home, exhausted and thankfully unstung, I thought about the lessons I learned from childhood that were helping me get through this day - on the phone, in front of a camera, doing live radio from the parking lot or simply flinging e-mailed answers back to reporters before the tea was ready. I couldn't help but think about how well prepared I was. Someone clearly did a good job, and I was sorry he wasn't around to take a bow.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

No doubt he took a proud bow from where his is.

Mojo said...

I'd concur with Hilary, I'd also say that this is the "normalcy" that provides the "grounding" that will enable you to find your way through all of this. And I'd venture to guess that your dad had a lot to do with laying that foundation, that stable place you can't be knocked off of no matter how hard the winds of change may blow. To quote Mr. Myagi, "If root strong, then tree survive Daniel-san. So same-same you."

Your roots are strong Carmi-san, and by enduring you honor the one who planted them that way. And whether you know it or not, whether you feel it or not, those same roots provide an anchor for those around you. Your mom, your kids, even Debbie (though I know you'll protest that it's the other way around).

I never had the privilege of meeting your dad, I guess he'll assume a place on my list of People I Wish I'd Known. Which seems to get longer by the year... sometimes by the day.

Glennis said...

My thoughts are with you, Carmi. It's obvious that your family was very very close, and having your father gone is going to take some time to get used to.

Bless you and yours.

DNLee said...

I didn't realize you were in Canada.

sister AE said...

mom's have their own priorities, no?

someone did, indeed, do a good job, and from reading your blog, it sounds like you are doing your best to take your turn.

Anonymous said...

My friend. I think you are coming back to grips with everything and dealing with your sadness very well. I can see a difference in you already. That's good to read. :) You do have strong roots and they are dug deep and very sound :)

Biddie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss..I am sure that he is indeed, very proud :)