Friday, June 26, 2009

After the storm


Reddish
London, ON, May 2009
About this photo: It's cloud week all week long here at Written Inc. If you'd like to share your own cloudy vision, click here for the latest Thematic Photographic.
We've been having some serious weather fun here in the Great White North. Yesterday, two confirmed tornadoes touched down on either side of our burg. Near Aylmer, a woman washing her hair at the time miraculously avoided injury as her house was reduced to matchsticks. Near Leamington, an old barn was similarly destroyed.

No major damage in in London, but it made me wonder about an amazing phenomenon: when late evening storms leave the area, the clouds in their wake are rendered in colors and textures that almost defy description. I can't explain it, but I do enjoy the show. I hope you enjoy this one.

Your turn: Why do we feel small when nature puts on this kind of show for us?

10 comments:

Tracey said...

gorgeous

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

simply amazing Carmi. it is a phenomenon when we are presented with the power of nature that even the most gifted would struggle to document. that power both scares and excites me.

kenju said...

We feel not only small, but helpless and insignificant in the scheme of things.

Carmi, I don't remember hearing about tornadoes in Canada. Are they common where you are?

Anonymous said...

Outstanding :)

NJ said...

I love your cloudy shots Carmi. I posted some here

Steve Gravano said...

Excellent!

photowannabe said...

Stunning Carmi.
I think its because it seems so out of our control. Awesome power.

Mojo said...

that must be an Ontarian thing, because I rarely remember seeing such a spectacular display when we have a storm leave the area around here. what we get usually looks more like this:
Thematic Photographic 55: "Cloudy" v.4.0

I don't know how you'd put words to such a marvel, so I'm really glad you had the camera handy. This is miraculous!

Few things will put me in my humble place faster than an angry sky or an angry sea. I cannot look on either without being reminded of my own insignificance in the Order of Things.

It's fortunate that we're given these opportunities to reflect so often.

Unknown said...

It can also be an adventure too, as I recall a mixed feeling of awe and fear as a kiddo! :)

awareness said...

beautiful Carmi. I do love the ever changing colourful artwork of the sky.

I took a few photos today while on the ferry crossing the Saint John river just north of the city of Saint John....

I'll try to post something tonight when all calms down in the "awareness" household.