Saturday, May 05, 2007

Caption This 17


Please help me name/caption this photo [See below to find out how]
London, ON, April 2007 [Click to enlarge]

Quick aside from Carmi: I'm posting this week's Caption This feature a little early. By the time you read this, I'll quite likely be floating somewhere far over Canada or the Pacific Ocean on my way to a conference in China. Here's a bit more background on the fun week I'm about to have. In my absence, I'm not sure what kind of connectivity I'll have, so comments, which are moderated, may not show up on the site for some time. New posts may also be a bit wonky: please know I'm doing my best. Thank you in advance for your patience. I promise I'll inundate you with words and images when I return from this magical place. Now, on with the show...
Sammy's Souvlaki is a locally famous eatery with pseudo-temporary stands in a few key spots in and around the downtown area. They've been here forever, and the chain even has the distinction of having put up the first webcam in this burg about a decade ago. When I worked deep in the bowels of Mother Corp., I would often pull up the page to see the weather outside.

The webcam is long gone now, but I'm still fascinated by this relic of a time when regular folks owned popular eateries and chains were unheard of. As I meandered along on a lunchtime walk, I happened across this anonymous woman waiting for her lunch. It was too rich a scene to pass up.

If you're new to Caption This, click on the links below. If you know the CT drill, proceed directly to the comments link, and do not pass Go.
Speaking of last week's entry, I had a heck of a time choosing a winner. There were way too many great entries - and for that I thank you all. After much Jack Handey-like deep thought, I settled on this gem:
Power Play
The one and only Melissa (aka MissMeliss) submitted it. She is one of the most readable writers in blogland, so please visit her if you haven't yet had the privilege of doing so. And if you're in the Dallas area, try to be there on a night when she's doing improv.

OK, time to turn things over. To you...

Your turn: Please submit a caption for the photo above. I'll post the winner next Sunday. In the meantime, submit as often as you want. Spam your friends and encourage your mother-in-law to do the same. When Caption This hits triple-digit comment numbers, I'm posting somewhat legal pictures of myself. Really.

18 comments:

kenju said...

Carmi, Michele sent me tonight. I am tired from working all day, and nothing comes to mind with this photo, except I'd like to try it someday. I hope you get to your destination safely and have a great time!

Em said...

My brain seems too tired to think of anything worthwhile as a caption. But I hope you enjoy your trip! Travel safely.

Anonymous said...

Baklava to go! She's going to fill her pockets. Have a good trip, Carmi!

scrappintwinmom said...

Dude, I totally stink at these. Instead I will wish you a wonderful, safe trip. Oh, and I voted for you. Repeatedly. :)

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

"Really? No hot dogs?"

Carli N. Wendell said...

So. . . just to be sure. . . you DON'T have Big Macs here?

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

"Souvlaki, anyone??"

and hey have fun in China and come back with tons of pics....:)

Anonymous said...

Souvlaki on the run.

or

Souvlaki...it's worth eating!

Hope that your trip goes well!

JC said...

Perfect timing.

Be safe... have fun!

Lee Ann said...

Would you like fries with that?

Unknown said...

MMMMMmmmmm Sami's now I want one, what a cruel photo Carmi, pregnant women everywhere will be craving.

My Caption

"Extra Tatziki, no season salt please!"

Safe travels to you, I am excited to hear about China.

Young Lady said...

Hi Carmi, you have been tagged over at my blog, go check it out

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Here's my caption.

Yes, I'll have one of everything...with ketchup.

Rachel said...

Have a wonderful safe trip!!

"Hurry please! My legs aren't crossed for nothing!"

utenzi said...

I'm at a loss for this caption, Carmi. Sorry!

Have a great time in China. That's a lot of time in a plane. *whew*

Anonymous said...

Supersize the Souvlaki and, YES, I want fries with that.

Snaggle Tooth said...

You always get tons of comments! Lucky, popular, you!

"Avec Fromage?"

Sara said...

"Is it halal? . . . cheers mate, I'll have one!"