Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Old vs. new

AP (via CNN) is running a story on how some university professors continue to hold onto old-style methods of classroom-based interaction, namely blackboards and chalk. This is another one of those interesting interface points between old and new technologies that makes studying the field so interesting. The article is called Some professors won't give up chalk for technology's sake.

It's of particular interest to me because I also teach part-time at London's Fanshawe College. I'm a huge proponent of technology, and use it extensively when I'm in class - through an Internet-connected PC and an overhead projector unit - and when I'm out of class via a richly-featured web site that uses multiple tools to dynamically deliver course content and facilitate student interaction in a virtual environment.

As much of a geek-head as I am when it comes to leveraging technology in an educational setting, I'm also keenly aware of its limitations. When the vaunted technology has failed - and sooner or later, it fails for everyone - I've had to revert to good old blackboards and chalk to both get my initial message across, and to facilitate the interaction (and learning) that followed.

Education is all about picking the best medium at any given time. No one form is ideal, and the best teachers are the ones who appreciate that concept right through the core of their very being.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Nothing like having that Powerpoint presentation ready to go and the network is down or the tv/computer interface doesn't work.
I love using technology. I'm just leery of it because it fails seemingly often. Last year I did digital photography with my 4th graders, the batteries for the cameras died. I tried using a drawing program, all the computers took literally 5 minutes to load the program, then kept freezing. Perhaps I should wait until they get more reliable, but I get so excited about the new bits we get.
I really do understand about sticking with what you're used to. That's why most teachers still lecture, as opposed to using all the other methods that promote greater retention.

Jennie said...

When I was younger, I used to want to be a teacher because I liked writing on the board with chalk.

Actually, that hasn't completely worn off, come to think of it.

Stephane Tardif said...

We all have our favorite way to learn, some prefer reading, some are hands on and some like to hear from others. I assume that culinary types can involve smell and taste too. In the field of technology, taste and smell are rarely used unless you forget to plug in a computer fan. You learn pretty fast the importance of a fan when you smell the circuitry burning. When retention is needed, it is a bonus to have as many senses involved as possible and I find that the classroom setting (with computers) ranks the highest (with or without blackboard.) Give me a good teacher that speaks clearly, the handouts to help me review and a computer to practise. I can’t write and can’t type fast so doing either makes me loose my concentration. I’d rather have all my attention to what is said by the teacher and on occasion, write stuff on the handouts to clarify thing. I feel better to know that I will have everything I need in the handouts when the time comes to study for the exam. When a teacher uses only a blackboard, only 1/3 of the classroom will be getting it.

I have discovered a fun technology that helps me learn, it’s my MP3 player. I got myself some audio books and courses etc… Rip, load, press play and voilĂ . I can hear the course over and over again. I can take it on the bus and I can plug it in my car. I discovered that I can intensify my retention 2 to 3 times by listening to my course while jogging. The only down side, I have yet to find an audio book about Microsoft Active Directory. :-)

Salut mon ami Carmi!