Sunday, September 13, 2015

Two birds, only one can win

Deerfield Beach, FL
December 2014
Click all photos to embiggen
I've been known to take pictures of seagulls. To wit, here's a quick selection of past gull-themed entries:
Made a new friend at the beach
Wheels in the sky
Bird on a stone
In the overall pantheon of things that fly, they're in the same psychological space as pigeons and bats: Annoying beings that make lots of noise, steal hot dogs right out of little kids' mouths and make a mess on your car just before your big date.

Grand Bend, ON
July 2014
Despite their gritty reputation, I remain fascinated by their toughness - watching two of them go at it over a piece of fruit is more entertaining than an Eminem concert - and their incredible grace in the sky. The way they fly is breathtaking, and I could watch them wheel in the air for hours on end. Indeed, as a kid, that's pretty much what I did most summer mornings.

Sometimes, beauty emerges from unexpected places, doesn't it?

Your turn: I'm having a hard time deciding which one of these shots is my favorite. I like them both for different reasons, but can't settle on one. What do you think?

Note: These photos support our most recent Thematic theme, wildlife. If you'd like to share your own (it's easier than it seems at first blush) then please head here.

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

I think they are both great photos. If I had to pick, I would pick the first one, because my eye tends to be drawn toward shapes - in the first photo the bird's wingspan makes an arch shape. For me, this photo is less about the actual bird and more about the ultimate bird-ness of the shape.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I like the first shot because the wings are so graceful.
~