Monday, September 07, 2015

Jeff Goldblum wants his DNA back

Screened in
Laval, QC
August 2014
See Thematic monochrome for more
This is one of those monochrome photos that didn't start out life as a monochrome photo. The camera was set to capture a default colour picture, but the composition of the specific scene - closely cropped, tight depth of field, cloudy grey background in the fading light of a busy restaurant filled with people wondering why I was shooting clear across the room - resulted in a color-free silhouette.

I love when you lift your camera to your face expecting to take one kind of picture, and then some other unexpected, cool stuff happens, instead - especially when you get to see an otherwise annoying insect in a new, admittedly jarring way.

Buggy creepiness aside, the structures fascinate me. Nature is an incredible sculptor. And this sucker can fly, while I can't, so there's that.

Your turn: What do you do when people stare at you while you're shooting in public?

Quick note: If you'd like to share your own monochrome photo as part of this week's Thematic, head here, as there's still time. I'll post a new theme tonight at 7:00 p.m. Eastern. What will it be? What would you like it to be?

1 comment:

Tabor said...

Nobody stares at me in public. I am an old lady...we are invisible.