Saturday, July 04, 2015

Where I become a talk show host. Sort of.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again because it's as true today as it's ever been: I lead a surreal life.

To wit, I'll be sitting in the chair at London's NewsTalk 1290 CJBK radio station this coming week. From Monday through Friday (July 06 through 10) I'll be hosting the Ask the Experts show between noon and 1:00 p.m., and then filling in for Mike Stubbs on The Mike Stubbs Show from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.

As you can imagine, filling in as guest host is a lot more involved than jumping on the phone for an interview. So I've been busy learning how everything works, and doing my best to absorb every last bit of wisdom from the entire team at CJBK.

The cool thing about this gig is that I'm not just a talking head. Rather, I get to decide what we talk about, with whom, and ultimately how to make great radio that keeps listeners intrigued - and tuned in.

So...over to you: What should I talk about? And who should I be talking to? What do YOU want to hear on-air this week?

Aaaand...go!

3 comments:

Tabor said...

How does the average person stay ahead of the curve? New OS, new software, data storage, loss of precious data, individual security. AS an elder I am more than overwhelmed.

Gilly said...

Not being in Canada, I don't know the show - or any talk show, come to that!! But I do love it when the host asks awkward questions and doesn't let the interviewee "get away with it". Or maybe its not that kind of a show? Still, awkward questions are always a good thing! As for subject - well there must be a lot of things Canadians are concerned about. here its climate warming, the Government being a reverse Robin Hood, and fracking! (Well, in my part of the UK, anyway) Otherwise we talk about the weather! ;)

rashbre said...

I guess its a kind of technical show?

It would be good to talk about the impact or otherwise of these watches like the Apple one. Will they catch on? Will they fill a useful gap? Are there other forms of better wearable technology?

Another one could be about home automation. Will the Nest become like a kind of Hal to run the whole house? How will we reboot the whole house if something goes wrong? What about the security?

Best regards and as they say in show business 'break a leg'.