Saturday, June 28, 2014

More help desk funsies

It's been an interesting week, as my reputation as the default technology help desk for everyone who knows me - and even some folks who don't - seems to be growing.

Two old friends who I haven't spoken to in years reached out to me via Facebook and asked for my guidance. One had apparently suffered some sort of data backup issue and wanted to know how to pull some settings out of Time Machine, while another was concerned that Google Maps didn't show his house clearly and he wanted to know how to get a better picture put online.

Yes, folks, I get 'em all.

So like the good little boy that I am, I drafted the best possible answers that I possibly could and sent them on their way. Neither one took a lot of time, but they consumed some time nonetheless that I could have easily allocated elsewhere. Like, you know, to my family, my career, or perhaps to just staring at the sky and pondering the universe.

Days later, nothing. Not that I do any of this for payback or recognition, but the slightest acknowledgment that these two old buddies of mine received my note would probably, I'm guessing, be the polite thing to do.

I could probably keep sharing case studies. Like the distant community acquaintance who felt comfortable enough giving my contact information to an old colleague of his. Because I love when complete strangers call my house out of the blue and ask for help getting rid of obscure Google references when they search for their name. Because I have nothing better to do with my time.

I was just about ready to give up on humanity when I got a call from a dear friend of the family who asked if it would be OK to have his son call me with a question. Of course, I said - because it's been ages since anyone asked, up-front, for permission to have folks contact me. Sweet.

And when his son called, I ended up having the loveliest conversation with one of the kindest people I've spoken to in a while. His question was genuine, his need was far more acute than a vanity search or fixing an obscured photo of his back yard, and the fact that he appreciated my time made me wish I could have done more for him.

I'll welcome his call anytime. The others, not so much. Maybe I should direct them toward my Help Desk Rules.

Something tells me they wouldn't bother to read them.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I managed to get the house in W.V. put on google maps.

You sign up for this. Eventually, my claim of where the house was got adjusted slightly and then approved.
~

21 Wits said...

Surely, those two will pop up with a thanks or some kind ofa shout out, hopefully. People can be so fickle, and perhaps too busy in their day to day business? I make it a "rule" to at least send a smiley face back if words aren't necessary, just so they know I read their text, comment or whatever. It's something that still resonates from my beloved grandmother. Always be thankful, it's lets people know you got that letter or package. By the way are you able to add a built-in swimming pool to my google house image?! Just kidding! ;)

Alexia said...

It costs nothing to be kind and appreciative of others and what they do for one. What goes around... etc.