Friday, May 09, 2014

Walking the dogs with my printer

Following dad
London, ON
February 2013
Thematic. Pets. Here.
This scene is a bit of a fluke, a shot that happened not because it was planned, but because I happened to be in a certain spot at a certain time. Sometimes you just have to shoot whatever's around you. You can always figure it out later. Or not.

I'm not sure why this guy was carrying a printer box through the park on a bitterly cold winter's day, or where he had come from, or where he was headed. But at the time I didn't think it made much sense to overthink the moment. I needed to shoot and get my fingers back in my mitts before I could no longer feel them.

I had been shooting landscapes of the park while the kids played in the adjacent playground - part of my attempt to cheer them up on this otherwise sad day - and the sight of two dogs following their human papa through the park seemed to spark something in me. They were pretty far away, so I used the long reach of the lens to fake it, and hopefully fool him into thinking I was shooting nearby.

As you can see, I failed on that front. Oh well...it's not as if I'm tagging the guy on Facebook. Wherever he is today, he has my thanks for helping signpost a day that ended up being significant to us for all the wrong reasons.

Your turn: What's the guy thinking? If you could add a caption bubble to him, what would it say?

No comments: