Monday, September 02, 2013

Thematic Photographic 259 - Sadness

Rest where there is no rest
Toronto, ON
August 2013
I admit I often taken pictures I probably shouldn't take. From the IV drug user to the man lying drunk on a sidewalk, whenever I'm confronted with a jarring scene of human tragedy, my first inclination is to point my camera and shoot.

I realize the journalist's instinct to record when most everyone else would avert their eyes is somewhat baked into my DNA, and more than one person has criticized me in the past for not simply letting it be.

But I've always calculated the ROI of the decision this way: The world is an ugly place, and shunting the ugliness under the carpet doesn't help us make it any better. Only by sharing the stories and driving discussion can we ever hope to fix whatever it is that ails us. It may not be pretty, but the fact that we're talking about it has got to be a good thing.

So, for the coming week, let's talk about the sadness that touches us - and more importantly, about how we plan to deal with it.

Your turn: This week's Thematic theme is sadness. Post a photo (or four, or ten...whatever you've got) to your blog, Facebook page, Twitter, stream, website, etc. Leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it and visit other participants to spread the photographic goodness. This isn't a competition, and there are no rights and wrongs, so have fun with the process. For more on how Thematic works, click here, and follow the #ThematicPhotographic hashtag, too.

11 comments:

Glennis said...

The photo doesn't say sadness to me. I don't know the circumstances, so that might be why. But seeing it cold, without background info, what it makes me think of is contemplation, relaxation, someone giving up and being perfectly comfortable in her surroundings - almost trust, if you will.

The photos you linked were far more sad than this one. I am sure that the back story behind this woman is unhappy, but the photo itself was not.

This is a really intriguing theme, and I'm not sure I have the ability to capture "sadness" in my photos.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

@Aunt Snow: I concur... what someone perceives as 'sad' may not be to another... I have a photo that I consider 'sad', and others may not think it is.. the story behind a photo is often personal... given that, I will have to search my files to find it. Will let u know C.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I am back! found it and I know you know how I think...
http://afreshstartwithkalei.blogspot.com/2013/09/tp259-sadness.html

Gilly said...

Well, these make me sad, anyway! A difficult challenge, Carmi!
http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

21 Wits said...

Your photo Carmi, really does hit pure sadness, and still I feel the desire to offer hope, as hopefully those that lay before us in need, receive comfort. I gave you as sad as my heart would allow right now.

Here's mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2013/09/thematic-photographic-259-sadness.html

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Here is our contribution this week prepared by my husband Jean-Claude.

http://cheznousottawa.blogspot.ca/2013/09/photographie-thematique-259-la.html

photodoug said...

Carmi, this photo may make an ornithologist sad.

Bob Scotney said...

Not an easy theme. But I've tried.
http://bobscotney.blogspot.com/2013/09/sadness-thematic-photography.html

Kelsea said...

The pictures that reminded me of sadness:

http://glimpseoflightbykelsea.blogspot.com/2013/09/sadness.html

Anonymous said...

Howdy everyone! Carmi - your picture is really touching, it makes me wonder what the person's story is.

Here's my submission - don't know if it's really sad, but I gave it a shot.

http://jessbrady1035.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/thematic-photographic-259-sadness-picture-a-day-32/

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Journalism Sadness
~