Friday, March 15, 2013

Still waters run deep

Feeling reflective
Thamesford, ON
October 2012
The world can be an ugly place sometimes, with ugly people doing ugly things for reasons that don't follow any of the rules we learned as kids.

As easy as it might be to let the ugliness win, I'm mindful of the fact that we're all a blink removed from moments like this, where the ugliness fades into a distant, irrelevant place. Where an ever changing kind of perfection awaits anyone with a few minutes to spare and just enough of a wanderlust to get off the road for a couple minutes of reflection.

On this day, I'm glad I did. Because I smiled the rest of the way home. I figured the ugliness could stay in the shadows for a little while longer.

Your turn: Do you stop and smell the roses? Or, in this case, stare at the water? When you do, what do you see?

5 comments:

Elke Blinick said...

this one does not run deep (the one in your picture), but there are underground rivers or lakes (one found by German scientists in north west Africa that can provide water for decades to come) Nature seems to provide, we just have to make good use. just a random thought.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I definitely 'stop and smell the roses'.... and I definitely see the 'better' side.... I see what can be..to stay in a negative rut does no one any good... in fact it makes me feel worse and unproductive...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I love those reflections in the water.
~

smalltownme said...

I try to find something beautiful every day.

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

As a retiree from a generation that allowed decent indexed pensions, I sometimes forget that there is ugliness in our world. Thanks for the reminder that I must not forget and especially thanks for the peaceful view that returns me to my idyllic world.