Saturday, March 16, 2013

Please don't shake

I grew up in a place where so-called "pop" beverages weren't called that at all. In Quebec, they're boissons gazeuses. Or, simply, Coke.

Not that I'd notice, since carbonated anything has never really been my thing. It just doesn't go down well with me, and I fail to see how a fizzing concoction with more dissolved sugar than anything else can be remotely refreshing. I'll take water or juice, please and thank you.

Still, the aesthetic of pop, or carbonated drinks, or whatever you call them where you live (discussion for another day, perhaps) is strangely appealing to me. Those little cans, built just so to hold in the pressure, are like low-cost consumer sculpture. The rows and rows of these things, backlit in vending machines that hum forlornly at the backs of convenience stores everywhere, are almost iconic, perfect storytellers for our early-millenium consumption-based culture.

Either that or they're just cans. I've got to stop overthinking this stuff.

Your turn: Thirsty? What do you reach for first? Why?

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I used to drink Coca Cola like no tomorrow. And I have the fillings to show for it!

Eventually my tastes changed, and now I much prefer wine and beer.
~

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Mais non Carmi, c'est pepsi au Québec! Une traite chez ma grand-mère c'était un pepsi et un Jos Louis!

Gilly said...

Tap water - I've been told to drink more of it! Fizzy stuff never goes down with me - tends to repeat, if you will pardon the expression!

Never, ever liked Coke. Or Pepsi!