Monday, December 17, 2012

Thematic Photographic 226 - Industrial Disease

Late afternoon in the yards
London, ON
December 2012





















With deep respect to Dire Straits, I've always found a perverse sense of joy in exploring post-industrial sites, urban ruins, and other parts of the planet that others might find gritty, dumpy or otherwise worth avoiding. Thing is, I like how they look, feel and even smell. There's a certain sense of what once was, mixed in with what might someday be. Or not, because there's plenty of grinding sadness and loss in these places, too.

Which brings us to this week's Thematic theme, Industrial Disease, and how you can be a part of it. Here goes...

Your turn: Please post a pic that evokes the theme - however loosely. Pop it onto your blog, website, Tumblr page, wherever folks can find it online. Then leave a comment here letting everyone know where to find it. Visit other participants to spread the optical goodness. Thematic is our weekly photo sharing/learning/enjoying extravaganza. For more background on how it all works, click here.

11 comments:

Bernie said...

I saw this photo come up yesterday in my feedburner, and though, 'oh goodie'!!! I have, only loosely based 'industrial', but its the very 'industrial' nature that have breathed life into the subjects!!!

Mines up as well at AussiePomm - Industrial Disease (Trains)!!!!

Have a great day!!

dean said...

This is a good subject, and one I wish I had time to explore more fully. However, I have what I have. :)

Unknown said...

Particularly suitable for shooting in B&W Carmi.
The lack of chroma seems to enhance the bleakness.

Unknown said...

Particularly suitable in B&W Carmi. The lack of chroma seems to enhance the bleakness.

Bob Scotney said...

There are a lot of unused railway sidings in my area, but I have no shots of them. http://bit.ly/12mJbQS

Glennis said...

Mine is up now. Art or disease?

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Alexia said...

Here are mine. Your railyard picture is great, Carmi.

Max Sartin said...

It's about time I got back into the game. I've enjoyed looking at all you had to show during my absence, but this week I've got something to show too.

21 Wits said...

Carmi, this is quite a fitting theme, for where my thoughts have been the last few days. Here is mine-

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/12/thematic-photographic-126-industrial.html

Gilly said...

This has given me some real problems, but finally came up with an unusual answer! See it at http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspt.com

dean said...

I had another shot at it.

Oh, I wish there were more hours in the day...