Sunday, December 30, 2012

Egg bread to you. Challah to me.

Edible warmth
London, ON
December 2012
Please click here for more Thematic warmth






















My lovely wife, bless her, makes bread. Not just any bread. Challah, a traditional Jewish egg bread that we eat to welcome in the Sabbath on Friday night. All together now: Yum!

I snapped this particularly lovely loaf as it was cooling on top of the stove. Our daughter helped make it this time - no one does sesame seeds quite like she does - and the house was soothingly quiet as we waited for it to be ready. The kitchen smelled oh so perfect, and a quick glance to the right revealed a snowy scene reflected in the moonlight just outside the frost-covered window.

It may seem trivial, but small, perfect moments like this make me realize just how lucky we are to have what we have. And to think all it took to open my eyes was a simple loaf of bread.

Your turn: The bread was gone by breakfast. When should we make the next one?

5 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Its definitely challah to me! :-) or its brioche w/out the butta!

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

it's a challah to me too. yum!

just wanted to say Happy New Year to you & yours carmi!

i hope to hook up with TP more often in 2013!! =)

kenju said...

It's good, whatever you call it!!

cactus petunia said...

Ok, now I want some! Haven't made it in years, but thanks to you I think I might give it a shot...Happy New Year to all, especially the bakers!

Pamela said...

I have a friend who makes Challah every Friday -- and usually soup of some sort. She is not Jewish - but is a "Sabbath keeper" and has made the friday bread her family tradition for years.