Thursday, September 06, 2012

Tie me up

Strength over time
Grand Bend, ON
July 2012
Please click here for more weathered & worn Thematic


















Whenever we head to the beach, I always try to take a bit of time to walk down to the stuff that sticks out - jetties, piers, breakwaters, docks, whatever we call them. I can't quite describe the appeal, but they seem to have a time-worn texture to them. They sit here in the middle of nowhere, exposed to the elements for decades, most of the time simply ignored by a world with better things to do.

I'm going to guess it's been a very long time since a ship tied up here. Yet it still makes me stop and think about who put it here, why, and what's happened here between then and now. It isn't anywhere near past its prime as long as it retains the capacity to make us look back and wonder.

Your turn: Are you drawn to things that are seemingly obsolete? Why? What's the appeal?


1 comment:

21 Wits said...

Ah yes, it's my kind of beachcombing! If all works well, I'll be weatherworncombing once I leave here! I'm so excited! Time for another post for weathered and worn! Enjoy your day too, Carmi!