Monday, April 16, 2012

On seeing little things as big things

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault
I know I should have posted the new Thematic earlier tonight. I know I probably should have done a lot of other scheduled stuff before the sun went down.

But it was a windy day that segued into a windy evening, and after dinner, the kids went outside to fly their kite on the front lawn. We watched them play, Noah flailing the kite until the wind caught and held it above his head, Dahlia in her puppy-themed toque, making sure her little brother didn't wander onto the road.

After dinner, there was a walk to the store to get extra batteries for the tools in my toolbox I'd later need to hang our daughter's mirror. My wife and I turned it into a mini date-night, a rare few minutes alone under a threatening yet stunningly beautiful sky filled with fast moving, darkening clouds.

Back home, we carefully hung her mirror, my ladies quietly laughing at my ineptitude with power tools.

In the end, the mirror ended up right where it needed to be in the middle of her wall. A tired little man drifted off to sleep, followed not long after by his satisfied, much loved dog. It wasn't a big news night, just another evening in the life of our family, another small sliver of time stuffed with another chaotic assortment of activities.

Little things, on the surface. Big things to us.

Your turn: What does a little-big moment look like to you?

5 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Not 'look', its a feeling... A sense of peace rolled up into a hug I want to give anyone who comes my way..

Mark said...

This weekend, when I let my anxious 8-year-old son start the fitting that tightened the new supply line from our cold water to the new kitchen faucet I had installed. His arms outstretched to hold aloft the heavy crescent wrench, he gave the fitting a few turns before I saw him struggling. "Getting heavy for you, son?" I asked. He confirmed that it was and, after a few good turns to get it started, he relinquished the tool and went about his boy way.

21 Wits said...

The true big little things, arrive like a sneeze, and it's up to us to make them last....as long as we can. Often words will never express as well the feeling we have inside....and the best part- is the memory of it as it lingers giving us a rerun of just how precious it was! Then you truly know that you experienced a really big little thing! Although, we all have our work to attend to now, I'm sure we hope to see you post some kind of theme...later!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Here's some little butterflies, up close (so they seem big...open the pics in another tab to see them really big).
~

Galen Pearl said...

What a thought provoking quote and post. I'm thinking back now over things in my life that seemed insignificant at the time but turned out to be life changing.