Monday, September 19, 2011

Panes in the glass


Feel the sun
Quebec City, QC, July 2011

I'd like to bring the "playing with light" theme to a close with this seemingly simple view of a south-facing window. What initially presents itself as a relatively geometric picture without a whole lot of detail becomes something more as you spend more time taking it in. On a brilliantly sunny summer's day, the light that spills through the glass and onto the sill seems to take on a life of its own. It isn't just light: You can almost feel the warmth radiating off of the lovingly polished wood.

Whoever restored this heritage building obviously cared about the end result, wanted whoever visited here to stop and drink in the history, to touch the walls and feel the years. Which was what I was doing as I slowly walked down the main hall of the building. And when I got to the window, it hit me that this was much more than glass and wood. It wasn't something you simply looked at, or through. If you closed your eyes just so, you could almost feel it.

Your turn: What makes windows so special?

Oops, almost forgot: New Thematic theme launches tonight at precisely 7:00 p.m. Eastern. We'll be eating our vegetables for the next week.

4 comments:

Little Nell said...

I love both windows and light, and not so long ago did
this post about both, which you may enjoy.

Dawn said...

Windows....help me breathe. When I built my dream house 5 years ago...I put no less than 2 windows in each room...some rooms have 8. I could live outside but given our lovely Canadian winters...impossible. Windows are the next best thing.
The sunshine you took a picture of- resting on the sill? You could almost pick it up it's so "there". Windows let it all in.

21 Wits said...

another favorite view of windows are those random windows you spot on a walk or driving by that just call out to you...look at me...for what ever reason...they pull you in!

Unknown said...

Yes! Reminds me of the windows in my Grandparents little house!