Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The old red door


Come on in
Quebec City, QC
July 2011
About this photo: It's Thematic's red week, and you're all invited. Really! Follow your mouse here for more.
Walking through the old walled city, it's easy to wonder what life must have been like hundreds of years ago. Much of this place is either largely untouched, left as it was to remind us why we must treasure all we have today, or lovingly restored by creative homeowners and businesspeople looking for a unique way to spend at least part of their lives.

Either way, every step I take in this place seems to offer up some other unforgettable scene, some other snippet just begging to be remembered. I keep falling behind my family as a result - my usual thing - but figure a little photographic dawdling is worth it if I get to witness streetscapes like this. My wife might beg to differ, so I hurriedly take the shot before I catch up to her and the kids.

And as I do, I remind myself to return to this place - and others like it - more often. Because one shouldn't have to wait too long to be inspired by the past, and by those who dedicate themselves to preserve it.

Your turn: What's behind this red door?

6 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Only the red door knows..... :-)

21 Wits said...

Ah yes, but the red door is willing to let you in! What a lovely spot, and one that I know I would visit as often as I could...lovely photo Carmi....the flowers are solid proof life does carry us on....

Max Sartin said...

I have no idea what's behind that door, but it sure does stand out. Whoever it belongs to is not the type to blend into the background. Great picture.

photowannabe said...

I really love the lines of this shot. I'm glad you stopped to capture it. The red against the white is stunning.

beth said...

i couldn't agree more with you....
and your words are brilliant.

Kavi said...

The past is inspiring. Especially considering the frailty of the the present and the incomprehensible nature of future !

Red can be a good go-between !

:)