Saturday, February 05, 2011

The wave that made me think


Soon it won't exist
Delray Beach, FL, December 2010
[Click here to share your own single-themed photo]

This is either a single wave or a loosely bound collection of billions of water molecules crashing toward a forced, cataclysmic rearrangement. Either way, the sight nearly hypnotized me, and I could have stood in the surf for hours watching the waves roll in, one after another.

I couldn't decide if they were all the same or all remarkably unique from each other. Then I realized it didn't matter what I thought. It was simply a privilege to be there, taking in the spectacle inherent in a place where one world ends and another begins.

Sometimes, it's enough to just absorb the feel of a place without necessarily feeling like you need to understand it.

Your turn: You're standing beside the open ocean. What's going through your mind?

9 comments:

21 Wits said...

Peace. Funny right? But truly I can sit by the side of the ocean for hours no matter how loud it screams back to me....just being there, seeing, smelling, feeling, enjoying why we are here everytime! It's a pull that grabs me ...

Kalei's Best Friend said...

What is going thru my mind is everything!. Yes, I go over the things that have happened to me in the past year and then some...

Cathy said...

I just enjoy listening, not thinking, to the rhythm of the ocean waves coming to shore. Very tranquil...

sisterAE said...

I love water. It isn't so much an object, but rather a state. Somehow I find solidity it the face of the ever-changing water.

Max Sartin said...

I'm thinking "Holy crap, what's the Pacific Ocean doing here in Utah?"
.
Seriously though, the last time I was at the ocean was Thanksgiving of 2006 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Spent 6 out of the 7 days sitting on the beach drinking Corona's and just relaxing. One of the best vacations I ever went on.
.
(One of the 7 days was spent doing a Zip-line, which with getting there and getting back, tookthe entire day)

Kavi said...

When the waves come and dissipated into the shore...they remind me much of human strife and living !

:)

Betty said...

What Karen said - utter peace.
I was standing on the pier in West Bay, Dorset this morning. The wind was lifting the waves and slapping them against the harbour wall. It was exhilarating and peaceful at the same time. Could have stood there for hours, spray in my face and wind in my hair.

To the edge of everything said...

When I look at the waves I feel like I'm looking in the mirror. They're reckless, splashing against the shore in the hopes of having reached a home they can finally belong to.

Mark said...

I hope I put on enough sunscreen. I prefer the mountains. But I suppose this sunset will be nice.