Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Did someone call room service?


Leftovers
London, ON, March 2010
About this photo: Thematic Photographic's edible week begins to wind down as we get set for Wednesday's launch of a new, uber-exciting theme? How exciting? Come back tomorrow after 7 p.m. Until then, we're still taking foodie photos here.
I'm a fan of the forlorn and the forgotten, the things left behind after everyone's moved on. There's a strange beauty inherent in scenes like this, and I don't think I'll ever tire of it. They invite the mind to wander, to wonder what it must have been like when there was life in this place, before the moment ended.

In many respects, photos of what once was aren't as much about what you see as they are about what you can't see. So you close your eyes and think back. And you realize the visuals taking place in your head are often more vivid than those on the screen in front of you.

Your turn: Please close your eyes. What story is this tray of room service leftovers telling you?

6 comments:

Tabor said...

Being as I have woken up (again) at two in the morning it tells me of that late night snack that is eaten in pajamas in the hotel room bed while watching some late night show.

Pat said...

Nice to see you again. The answer to your question is yes - without question:)

Mojo said...

I think maybe it would tell me the story of the wide eyed honeymoon couple in 718. If I could stop staring at this astonishing photograph for a second that is. I never cease to be amazed at the way you find the most extraordinary shots in ordinary subjects. I love this angle. Love it.

srp said...

I have a great idea for your wife. I think it would be fabulous to have a series of pictures of YOU taking pictures of empty plates, ground views of streets etc. Now, that would make a great series indeed.

Pamela said...

stark walls....

Anonymous said...

Good bye, sentimental friend :)