Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Never forget


Red badge of courage
London, ON, November 2009


I tweeted this earlier today as I walked the dog in my quiet neighborhood and pondered the kinds of not-quite-adventures my suburban existence would serve up before bedtime:
The price for freedom is paid not only on Nov 11th. Their sacrifice will be just as meaningful - and worthy of thanks - tomorrow.
I shared this from the comfort of my BlackBerry because I admit more than a little discomfort at the once-a-year outpouring of affection for our veterans. I know it's human nature to store it all up and then blast it all out in one brief day - witness Christmas, birthdays and wedding anniversaries - but I still find it sad that we share our thanks, thoughts and feelings so rarely.

If anything, we should celebrate our heritage, our lives and our connections with those who matter most each and every day. We have what we have because countless heroes among us have made - and continue to make - unthinkable sacrifices. Indeed, my walk with the dog this morning was made possible by complete strangers decades ago who stood in Hitler's way and ensured the darkness racist totalitarianism didn't shade the entire planet.

For them and all who have followed, I think I can at least give it some thought the other 364 days of the year, as well.

Your turn: You're thankful because...?

About this photo: We're winding down this week's red theme (head here if you'd like to share.) Tonight at 7:00 EDT, I'll post the next Thematic Photographic theme, travel.

7 comments:

Mojo said...

Growing up in a family with a long history of military service -- as well as spending three years in the army myself -- I think may make me more mindful of the sacrifices the members of our armed forces make every day. And it isn't only in times of war that these sacrifices are made. I was fortunate enough to serve at a time when nobody was shooting at me. But I frequently had to leave my family for weeks at a time to go on training exercises. By comparison to the months of duty served by the troops currently deployed, these were almost momentary assignments. I can hardly imagine what it's like for the current generation to be away for a year or more. And that's assuming they return home at all.

I have been very outspoken in my opposition to the war in Southwest Asia. I am still opposed to that war, and pray every day for its end. But I don't hate the players, I hate the game. The GI's that are currently deployed as well as those who came before them and those who will follow them are doing a job most of us won't -- or can't -- do. And nobody appreciates the value of peace more than those brave souls who have faced war.

Those courageous ones who stand in harm's way for our protection deserve our gratitude every single day. But it is fitting to give them their own day, marked on the calendars of those they defend, where they are held up before us to receive that gratitude in an official observance.

To that end, I offer this simple post along with my undying thanks.

Nina said...

Thank you for your kind words at my blog! They made me really happy!

Mark said...

I served for 22 years and I intimately understand that service in the military is not for money, nor fame. It is service for the sake of service which is the most honorable thing a person can do. We who serve do not look for medals or money, we do not seek fame, we simply seek to be of service to serve a higher purpose. I am thankful for all that give their all each and every day and know and experience things that we shall never know and should never want to know.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Im simply thankful that each day I awake to silence, no missiles overhead or the sound of rounds going off or tracers lighting up the sky.

And the only reward I can offer serving soldiers is my support and my tears when I get down on my knees for them. respect. x

Sweetly said...

You are so right. Why do you think it is that we have to create holidays in order to remember to be thankful?


Finally got my red photos up - just in the nick of time. I split them into three different posts so they didn't take so long to load. Don't miss the second two red posts. Come pick your a favorite red photo.

Red Gazing

Teena in Toronto said...

Thanks for remembering ... I did too.

Robert Hill said...

I served 30 years in the Navy and have great respect for those who went before me and those who came after me. I have on my email the simple statment, "In gratitude for those who have served and in sorrow for those who gave their lives..."