Friday, February 08, 2008

My daughter's light

Simply light
Atlanta, Georgia

January 2008
[Click to embiggen]


It was our daughter who noticed it first. Staring at the lamp in our hotel room (see here for more), she talked about how interesting it looked beside the simple surface of the wall. She liked how it painted the wall with soft light, how the curvy base offset the straight shade. She suggested I take a picture of it, smiling the knowing smile of a little girl who's grown up seeing her dad take countless pictures of oddball scenes. Who was I to disappoint her?

So we stood there for a bit, staring at this very ordinary lamp in this temporary place far from home. I watched her as she watched the lamp, furrowing her brow as she realized that sometimes the simplest scenes aren't so simple after all.

I decided then and there that I need to spend more time asking my kids what I should shoot next. When I look at the world through their eyes, I'll see things I might otherwise have missed.

Perhaps there's a deeper lesson in that.

Your turn: What children see that adults do not. Please discuss.

One more thing: I'm still whoring for captions. If you haven't already submitted your caption this week, click here to find out why I'm being such a nag.

19 comments:

b13 said...

monsters under the bed

reddirtroad said...

That is a gorgeous lamp.

Star said...

Obviously he father's daughter. I love when my grandson points out something I didn't see right in front of me. They have such a fresh view pont at 3 years old.

Unknown said...

I like this photo. Very simple, but your daughter is right, there's something about the shapes.

Linda said...

Your daughter has a great eye for things.

Children see so much that we take for granted. The biggest is how WE behave toward other people. I have seen some traits in my kids that I do NOT like, and realize they saw ME do that at one point. So I am working hard to really "SEE" what I do to set the good example.

Rainbow dreams said...

I love this photo - I love lots about the light and shapes and contrasts...ad I love the story behind it too...
Children see lots we don't - they are at a different height and they see things in a far simpler way I think - but they also have a sense of wonder, awe and mystery that becomes duller as we get older.. perhaps they see possibilities where we don't...

Nestor Family said...

This is a beautiful photo... she has a great eye!

I think children see without preconceptions... they are able to see more often without much judgement... simplicity is grand with them and that is wonderful.

On a funnier note... what kind of child was I? My pop carried around a camera a lot, too, and all I wanted him to take pictures of was me!!! Your daughter is a good girl!!! Love her!!!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I'd say she has her father's eye.

When my daughter was younger, around 3 or so, she kept talking about how her grandfathers were watching her from heaven. She'd even talk back and forth with them and everything. SO was this just her imagination, or was this something more?

Michele sent me.

Anne said...

The world is bigger for a child.

Admin said...

i left a comment...and got an error message...

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Michele sent me. And you are right, children see so much that we as adults don't see. Their innocense allows them to find wonder in all the small things.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, darling. Michele sent me today. I love that you're teaching your kids to look at life differently. Those of us who look at life through a different view from the mainstream... well, theory is that we're supposed to set the world on fire.

I'm just trying to make it better.

Keep up the awesome work!

Anonymous said...

Michelle sent my inner child over to tell you that I see love.

Shephard said...

I like that photo. I like the softness and the geometry of the lamp and shade. It's very warm.

Michele sent me to bask in its glow.
~S

Joy T. said...

Your daughter has a great eye just like her daddy. The picture is very simple but oh so beautiful. And even though I come over here and lurk all the time, today I get to say Michele sent me :o)

Omykiss said...

my son saw the road move ... it was us who were moving .... we were travelling in an autorickshaw in india ... he was 2 years old at the time.

Anna said...

...the genuine innocence in everything...

Lindy said...

What a great moment - those are the sort that I treasure with my own. Watching them discover something new is like living it again for the first time. And it is magic to read about parents who recognize the priceless nature of such moments.

Lindy said...

What a great moment - those are the sort that I treasure with my own. Watching them discover something new is like living it again for the first time. And it is magic to read about parents who recognize the priceless nature of such moments.