Tuesday, September 04, 2007

On the line


40 yards, this way
London, Ontario, June 2007

Football isn't my favorite sport. I think I have issues with the fact that North Americans call it football in the first place, when we all know the real football is the monstrously popular game that everyone else in the world worships because it is as simple and pure as sport can be. Here on the wrong continent, they call it soccer, and David Beckham aside, it is essentially dead at the professional level.

North American football is played by very large men wrapped in even larger cocoons of protective equipment. Although I enjoy watching a rare game, I fail to understand the beyond-religious appeal of the game in some communities - especially when so many of this sport's so-called "fans" have never even set foot on a real field, much less played the game.

But when our daughter's school attended a track meet at the big stadium on the campus of London's main university, I found myself staring at the micro-elements of the place. There was so much symmetry in the way the place was laid out. It had order, richness, purpose. I learned that I can appreciate a venue even if I don't quite appreciate the rabid fans who follow the sport that is played there. Call me a square, I guess.

But in the end, the photography matters more than my contrarian views of popular sports. So I took a bunch of pictures (click here for an earlier view) and I'll share more in the weeks to come.

Your turn: What's this view saying to you?

One more thing: The little folks are sleeping quietly after a busy and fun-filled weekend. Later this morning, they head back to school. Ambivalence reigns as I recognize once again that they're not getting younger. And neither am I. I am virtually certain that words and images will result from this annual, increasingly meaningful milestone. Stay tuned...

13 comments:

Lifelong Learner said...

Aaah, Carmi. You fail to recognize all of those pick-up football games at family reunions and in back yards! When we watch football, we are LIVING it! ha!

However, my son is just becoming coached in the game of Rugby, and plans on watching the US/England game as soon as he is able. (The only place that shows it around here is pubs, and he is only 13....)

In the end, we all love our sports, don't we?

Jennifer said...

This photo is saying that 40 is not really all that far away! ahaha

Anonymous said...

It's saying to me that fall (yay!) and football are just around the corner. I have a strong association with football and the fall season because this is the one sport my husband is truly passionate about. I'm not really interested in the game, but for his sake, I'll watch the replays and listen to some of the commentary. In fact, I've grown accustomed to the announcer's voices – it's almost comforting listening to all the sounds of the game, as I read my book on the couch next to my husband who will invariably be jumping up and down, in either joy or frustration.

Nestor Family said...

Well... I am one of those rabid fans that gets excited when I see things like this. I look so forward to fall and football season (and college marching bands... I used to be a band geek.)

And I am looking forward to your next post about the milestone...

Dak-Ind said...

my ex and i had season tickets to the local university football games... we sat 1/3 of the way up on the 35 yard line. the seats were incredible. we loved the game, the folks we sat with game after game year after year, and the beer. football is much more fun if you are watching it live with a glass of beer in your hand. trust me.

so, on another note... i blogrolled you! that way i can visit whenever i want instead of just when michele tells me to =P

The Turmanators said...

It says to me that everywhere I went to school our football team SUCKED (starting in high school where one year the only points we scored were a safety).

My oldest Short Person had a great first day at kindergarten, but they are still babies in kindergarten, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

The photo says to me "Finally!". I remember games being played at family reunions and how my family honestly worships the sport, however in recent years not as much, the luster is just not there when football was raw and played for all the right reasons and for the camaraderie...now it's just different. I had always pictured North American's more as baseball people since it is considered the "all-american sport".

Thanks for your comment over my way.

Sandy J said...

I am not a big football fan either, but there is something about when football season starts which leads into fall and then into the holidays. Fall is my favorite time of year.

Beverly said...

I love football. Last Saturday was the best day I had spent in a long time, watching Penn State have a good victory and hoping for many more.

Sandy said...

On football - I struggle to keep my interest going with the commericals interrupting me every few blinks. Games in person are much better. Much.

By the way, I'm waiting to hear your thoughts on the newest set of school milestones! I intended to wax poetic upon it myself today, but I'm finding myself quite short on words.

Carli N. Wendell said...

Sorry, Carmi. On this I must disagree with you. I love football. I admit some fans take it too far, but I love watching the game. The fight for every ten yards, the way runningbacks bob and weave to avoid the tackle, the perfect long toss landing in a wide receiver's arms. . . beautiful.

Anonymous said...

My dear, your FANTASTIC picture is the only reason I don't send you nasty messages regarding YOUR version of football versus MINE. That photo just invokes the roar of crowds, the smell of great food cooking, and the anticipation of watching THE GREATEST SPORT EVER!!!!

Sorry. I get a little carried away.

No. A lot carried away.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

this view says possible field goal and depending on what down it is -- a very hopeful strike into the red zone.

<---------GO BEARS

sorry Carmi - couldn't resist. I still have my Football cards from kindergarten. They're only one football and it doesn't include a round ball -- although I do like soccer and find it to be very exciting.