Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Where Carmi gets told off by a mascot


Get the *&^%$#! away!
San Francisco, CA, March 2007 [Click to enlarge]

Meet Luigi Francisco Seal, better known as Lou Seal. He's the official mascot of the San Francisco Giants baseball team. I'm not sure why there are two seals here. I would have asked, but as you can see by the gesture being directed at me by the seal on the right, the answer would likely not have been forthcoming. (If anyone knows the lore of these furry beasts, please feel free to explain in a comment.)

I happened across this scene while out on a walkabout. I was crossing a very large parking lot beside a very large pier - Pier 28, if I counted correctly - and I saw a cameraperson filming the two seals going through a range of animated zen/yoga-like movements. Cool, I thought, as I approached and shot off a bunch of pictures. At my closest approach - likely not closer than 50 feet - right-hand seal raised his arm and swore at me, punctuating his very un-seal-like greeting with a "no pictures" order.

Um, OK. I didn't exactly want to get into it with a couple of fuzzies and I already had the pictures I wanted safely stored on my memory card. But any plans to take myself out to the old ball game for some peanuts and crackerjack were immediately scuttled. Someone really needs to teach the stinking sea creature about the value of PR.

Still, the picture makes me laugh. Sometimes, I can't believe the things I see through my lens. Life is indeed good.

Your turn: Have you had a moment - good or bad - with a mascot? Please share.

17 comments:

Gyrobo said...

There are two because the Giants are trying to breed mascots in captivity.

Ms Mac said...

I've never heard of unfriendly seals before- how rude. If they'd been Disney seals they'd have been booted out for that kind of behaviour.

I've never met a mascot as such but I did once run into a man who was quite short, very hairy, wore an animal skin cape and carried a club. He gave me a big hug and when he turned to leave me and I asked my husband, "Who was that?" I found out I'd just hurt the feelings of Captain Caveman.

CG said...

That's terrible!! Would you believe it?? The Giants are my team, too!!!

Anna said...

I have never had an instance with a mascot Carmi but that story really disappoints me regarding considering the fact that family and children attend these games....very bad PR indeed. You should email this post and picture to there offices! :)

awareness said...

mascots gone nasty........this pic cracks me up!!

All my mascot stories are warm and fuzzy....... :) BJ Bird was a true gentleman bird when I met him.

Though I do recall meeting Mr. Bobbie when I was a kid. He had a very popular TV show on......singing songs, puppets etc. He was at the local mall signing autographs stinking drunk.

When I watch crusty the clown on the Simpsons, I think of Mr. Bobbie.

talj said...

Never had a mascot moment myself but love your shot!! :o)

Bobkat said...

Ah, he must have read that book: "How to make friends and influence people"! Can seals read?

kenju said...

I agree with Anna, their managers need to know how they were acting.

tommie said...

I used to coach tumbling for cheer squads....can you believe some are able to do backflips in those suits? So bad experiences?? Just a bad landing or so, definitely no finger gestures!

Anonymous said...

when my oldest daughter was about 9 or 10, the mascot at the blue jay game got her up to lead the crowd in a cheer, which she did happily, while he sat down beside us. it was hilarious but i didn't have a camera and no pic.

TJ said...

Several ... at Disneyland...

those buggers creep me out :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think you got off easy, Carmi. Iceburgh, the Penguins' mascot, might have tossed you in the drink!

Anonymous said...

Even the critter on the left looks like he is about to drop kick someone off screen!

srp said...

My daughter's school mascot was the Ram... one year a young junior high girl got the job, only the suit was too hot and she kept passing out. They had to re-think it.

No other mascot stories I can think of. Her math and science high school were the "Waves"... now that would have been a strange costume! I suppose a blue triangular wave and he could carry a bucket of water to throw on the crowd, though I doubt it would have gone over very well.

Anonymous said...

It's not the same but I think it fits the theme...

http://archshrk.com/2006/08/dj-format-we-know-something/

Marie said...

I don't recall any moments with a mascot. Ever. ;-)

That seal should be fired for treating you that way!!! Mascots have a reputation to uphold... They represent! Does the mayor of San Fran know about this??

Sonny Drysdale said...

Contrary to their cute & fuzzy image that we all know from Marineland, three-ring circuses and the ice-flows off Newfoundland, seals are known for their intemperate and sullen personalities.

Second only to giraffes. Giraffes are a nasty animal. And selfish.

(Quite enjoying the snapshots of San Fran architecture incidently. Well done.)