Monday, November 20, 2006

Red hill mining town


Georgetown, Colorado lies along the I-70 where it snakes up the eastern edge of the Rockies toward Vail. It is a mining town that, like so many others in the region, seemingly wears its history out in the open.

The main street - 6th Street, actually - is a lovingly preserved swath of history, filled with so much color and texture that the eye almost doesn't know where to look first. As our group got off the bus for a midpoint walkabout on our way further through the mountains, I relished the opportunity to stroll through the almost deserted streets and pick off the minute elements with my camera.

As I tend to do when I'm wandering with a camera, I lost track of time and quickly made my way back to the waiting bus. I hustled back up the road, but stopped dead in my tracks when I came face-to-face with a pristine-condition high-wheeled bicycle, sitting peacefully against the tucked-in doorway of a store that had closed for the day. I had little time to shoot, so I triggered off a couple of quick images and hoped for the best.

At first glance, the wheel looks fragile, gossamer-like in its emptiness. Yet that spindly profile hides an inner strength that far exceeds that first impression. Kind of like the town where it sits.
I'm glad I took the time. I hope you are, too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what time I have had to read and look around, your writing is fantastic and the photos are well done.

You may have it posted somewhere but I have just started reading but I wanted to know, what type of camera are you shooting with?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you posted about Georgetown...I lived there when I was seven and eight.

REALLY.

In fact, my mother owned the building at 507 Rose Street, and her best friend owned the Mercantile down the block.

You didn't happen to snap a picture of the Maxwell house, did you?

Kara said...

Somthing haunting about objects that survive past their time. Love the workmanship and strength that implies.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great photo! I'm really looking forward to when I start looking at everyday things like this so that I can start getting photo's that at the moment I'm missing...probably through pure ignorance!!

Nancy Pants said...

AMAZING... your photography and words are both very capturing. Thanks very much for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment!

Anonymous said...

I'm continually impressed with how you view PART of the picture. Anyone else would have taken the whole bike. Or at least the whole wheel. But you captured part of the wheel...and in that moment, told a completely different story. Wonderful.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Good shot n composition. Exploring new towns with historic qualities, is fun, especially when ya get away a few good ones of the unexpected!

Anonymous said...

I love your writings ang photos! WIll come back here for more!

srp said...

I still haven't figured out how anyone ever really rides one of those things. I bet you snapped all sorts of interesting things. Can't wait to see what they were!

Anonymous said...

Carmi, I don't know if my last comment came through or not - this whole new Beta Blogger whatever has me in fits. I can't remember one log-in for another and it seems to crop up each time I want to post a comment. Ahh, anyway.

My blogging hiatus is over for the moment and your photos remind me why it's good to be back.

Anonymous said...

I love it when you snap pictures of where you have been. I love to see them as you post them because it makes me feel as if I was right there with you.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I can't wait to see what comes next.