Sunday, January 08, 2006

Notes from the road - part 1


Digital photography is the devil. Because of the perils of big memory cards and abundant battery power, I think I spent more time taking pictures on this vacation than I did sleeping, eating and picking beach sand from the nooks and crannies between my fingers and toes.

But we came home with abundant memories of our time there. And as I flip through the myriad folders I created to organize them all, I'm taken right back to each moment a given picture was taken.

That makes it easy to forget the snow and bluster just outside the patio door, and the fact that when the sun rises again in a few hours, I'll be returning to the real world of, you know, work, responsibilities, life in general.

It's been a nice break. Time to go back.

Administrative note: I'll be posting my favorite photos directly to the blog in the coming days, weeks and months (yes, months...I'm still working through some photos from last year, too). Since I don't envision writing 1,200+ individual photo-laden blog entries, I'll also be using the companion photo site to do some mass-dumpings as well. Look for the photo strip in the sidebar to the right, and click on the more of carmizvi's photos link at the bottom of the picture box. This will take you to the Flickr photo site. Enjoy the images!

About this image: Taken poolside at my aunt's and uncle's community pool. After Noah finished using the flippers - a 5-year-old's feet can get pretty tired after wearing giant flippers for a few minutes - they almost beckoned from poolside to be captured. As soon as I took it, I knew the compositon and color were just right. Sometimes, a picture just jumps out the moment it is taken.

Your turn: Please share your thoughts on your own favorite vacation images. If you feel so inclined, I hope you'll post a new one to your own blog, too.

9 comments:

Uisce said...

I love vacation pictures, but I hate taking them. No, that's not quite it. I hate carrying a camera around. I guess I'm just worried that I'll lose it or something. Or the pictures. I lost dozens of pictures once because of a mistake I made when I got home from vacation, but that's a long story. You take such awesome pictures. My stepfather takes really great pictures, too. I look at those and think, I can never do that. So I just take a picture with my phone, and I preserve the memory, but it's just not the same.

Jennifer said...

I went looking at your photostream, but didn't see vacation pictures...yet. perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot.
I did, however, see a beautiful wife, and beautiful children (your oldest son looks a lot like his Mom!)
Who is baby Oliver? He is so precious and tiny!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

There is one photo of me from high school, taken on a canoe trip in the boundary waters, that features me swinging from a rope off a 30-foot cliff into the water. Great photo, but I have no idea where it is now.

kenju said...

I also hate carrying a camera, but my new one is lighter, so maybe it won't be so bad. The images I like best are my companions in front of the landmarks we are visiting. I have one of my daughter and husband at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge which is a great photo. They won't let me post it on the blog, though. Boo.

Cori said...

I love that picture.

carmilevy said...

Jennifer: I'm sorry for the delay in getting my pictures posted to the companion photo site. You're in the right place: I simply underestimated the amount of effort involved in choosing and uploading so many photos.

Oliver is our new nephew (my sister's son), born just last month.

Thank you for your kind words about our brood. I know I'm biased, but I sigh happily whenever I look at them: they are indeed sweet, and I am indeed blessed.

Anonymous said...

Loved the concrete at dusk; the palm leaf; and most of all, Noah's flippers! Thanks for sharing - they seemed to speak to us!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of the flippers. The color contrast is gorgeous.
I don't know if I have favorite vacation photos. I really haven't enjoyed a vacation in a long time.

Robyn said...

Ahhhhh flickr! It has made my life so much easier! I can hardly wait to go take a look at your photos! Your sidebar pics are so wonderful. Great kid pics!